Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'm a terrible influence...but I'm back and greener than ever

Sooooo......I'm back!

I have to be honest and say that the reason I wasn't blogging was because I was not being as green as I thought I should be to be running a "green blog," but now I am living greener than ever and convincing others to be green, too.

For instance, my momma is now inquiring about putting solar panels on her roof; my S.O. - who now refuses to use plastic grocery store bags and growls with anger if a clerk forgets to use our bags; my anti-green-but-doesn't-know-how-green-he-really-is Deddy, who is growing a beautiful garden full of veggies; my brother who has stopped paper towel consumption and anybody else in the grocery store who sees me with my assortment of canvas bags and my baby with her Klean Kanteen. TOGETHER WE'RE GREENIN' IT UP YALL.

Since college, I was always a firm believer in changing my little corner of the world. Some call it grassroots, or think global act local, or just word-of-mouth; but whatever it is, I am on the track to doing that and I couldn't be prouder. I am currently in Cincinnati and would like to make the black and green connection with this little corner of the world. With my blog this time around I plan to localize topics. I would also like to highlight black issues AND green issues and the two together.

For today, I want to leave you with the most simple green practice, which I just learned how to do appropriately as an apartment complex resident: Recycling.

Most cities have websites that tell where recycling sites are and how to get a bin for your home. Cincinnati's is http://rcc.org/pubsrv/pages/-10147-/ It's important for us all to remember that trash is never really 'thrown away' it is tossed into a landfill and homes and parks are built on top of it. It contaminates our water and drains our resources. Most cities and businesses even have electronics recycling, CFL recycling, computer recycling. Just about anything you've used can be recycled. Pay attention.

No comments: