Thursday, December 13, 2007

Let's Start Slow...

You know, I get really upset when I see people litter. It just doesn't make sense not to put trash in the trash can. It's lazy. I can say that I've never done it intentionally. I've worked hard to prevent people around me from doing it. I think it's absolutely disgusting. I used to live in Harlem, on the east side. In the early days it was a pleasure to walk from the train stop at 125th and Lennox to 125th and Lexington. I used to marvel at all the vendors and busy people. I used to count how many shoe stores and salons versus how many bookstores there were (soapbox). I bought some funky scents and some nice shirts for fam from the Underground spot. I loved every tourist-y minute of it. Then a few months rolled by of me living there and I started noticing something else.

The trash.

You know, most people who talk about being *bendy quote fingers* green talk about reducing the amount of trash we produce. They talk about reducing plastic bag use. Why, you ask? They talk about sustainable neighborhoods and renewable energy. Me, I want to talk about all that stuff, but I'm going to start slow and talk about putting trash in its place, people. It bothers me a whole lot to know that the trash we 'throw away' is actually being buried beneath us. But to live in it ... ? Maybe you're leaving it there, lady I saw this morning, as a reminder to everyone else that if we don't reduce the amount of trash we use, that's exactly where it will be, swirling swimming around with us.

Maybe not.

How much extra energy from you does it take to put your wrappers or napkins or bottles or cans or whatever you've got, into the can?

No comments: