Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas to all....and to all a good hot dog!

*Cue Donny Hathaway* This Chrismas, instead of a traditional turkey or ham or vegetable lasagna for the lone vegetarian, my family grilled out. We called it a July dinner for Christmas, you know, like Chrismas in July but reversed. And yeah, I'm one of the corny ones who made it up, partly because I wanted my family to pay attention to the warm(er) weather for Ohio this year and partly because I was assigned to cook and I kind've got to weasel out of it because all I eat is turkey products and no one else does.

But really, what other year (here in Ohio where I'm from anyway) has it been 50 degrees and/or up, not snowing or sleeting and warm enough to stand outside to wait for food to cook. I mean, I grew up in Ohio and I'm used to the cold. I acutally miss the cold. I sleep better when it's cold. And while my father still doesn't believe that global warming is real, there we were grilling out. It was sunny too. The food was divine. BTW, is grilling a green thing to do? Probably not...hmmmm..... I'll have to check the science of it and get back or if you are out there reading and you know, leave a comment and enlighten me. I'm always looking to be better.

Grilling out this Christmas gave me some hope, too, that old habits maybe don't die hard, even for the folks. We still were chomping on mac and cheese and greens like always, but we're working on extending our culinary choices and options. Especially to the good organics. But anyway, the day is coming to an end and I think, although I procrastinated too long to get the green goods/reusable bags/reusable aluminum water bottles before Christmas (I got yall for Kwanzaa though), I think I raised, and continue to raise, the issue enough to show the fam that I take gifts seriously, especially the gift of the earth (more importantly the God that gave it to us).

Yeah, call me corny or whatever, I already told y'all I was.
Merry CHRISTmas everyone!

1 comment:

Randi said...

love the blog.

I have a environment-conscious proposal for you that would benefit the both of us when you get back.

Please come back!! :)