Monday, November 10, 2008

Does anybody watch '60 Minutes' or am I just old school?

Anyhow, whether you (my fictional audience) watch 60 Minutes or not, last night I watched a horrific investigative news story on there about where some of our E-Waste really goes.

If you do not know what E-Waste is, it is basically the electronic junk (tvs, phones, cpus) that's too old, broken or simply out-of-date that nobody wants. The reporter referred to this place as the innovation age's dirty little secret. As I stare at my iphone waiting for quitting time to pop up, I would agree. I didn't know.

Any guesses?

The answer is some place called Guiyu, China. A little town where all the water is contaminated with toxic chemicals formerly in your Dell, where the women struggle carrying children to full-term, and where the men run gangs to maintain the wasteland and jump reporters and crews who try to expose them.

In addition, what bothered me is that my fear of being green for nothing has come to be. My father, who is the skeptic of all things green, claims that the recycling company doesn't recycle. He thinks they just dump the stuff they collect somewhere in the trash. Well in essence, this is exactly what happened in the story.

A company called Executive Recycling basically held an E-Waste event in some neighborhood and made people think they would recycle these goods, which I do believe they were paid to host.

Long story short, when 60 minutes followed the crate of stuff that was supposed to be recycled, all the stuff ended up in China. This wasteland of a place is only there because people thought they were doing the right thing and someone lied to them. I hope the green movement isn't all about lies. I know some of it makes me feel better as a person because I am less wasteful, but this is a little discouraging.

Read the story, here.

No comments: