Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I wish I was a little bit greener...

Anybody remember that song, "I wish I was a little bit taller?" That was my jam way back in the day.

In the song, the rapper talks about all the things he wishes he could do or have. When I think about transitioning my life to being green, I start to wonder if the little baby steps I take (recycling, reducing energy use, changing light bulbs) make a difference. Many environmentalists would say, yes. Honestly it just makes me feel better to do certain things.

Anyhow, I always think about what my life would be like if I were 100% green.

Each morning I would get up, from the sound of alarm --powered by an outlet in a home powered by solar and/or wind-- untangle myself from my organic cotton sheets and blankets and take a very short shower using my low-flow showerhead.

I would clothe myself in organic cotton (and/or other sustainable material-clothes) from the underclothes to the fancy scarf that would grace my natural shea butter-moistened hair. Business casual dress, of course.

I would then proceed over my bamboo floors to my recycled-material countertop to pick up some goodies and then to my bamboo kitchen/dining table and chair to eat my breakfast made from seasonal fruit from my own garden. Before tossing the scraps in the compost I'd pack a lunch of fresh veggies from my garden tossed with homemade pasta (If I go all the way, I gotta go all the way).

Next I'd be off to work on my bicycle, (no driving!); burning calories as I frolic through traffic and I'd arrive at my destination rejuvenated. (or exhausted)

Then I'd fulfill work duties on recycled paper. Whether I be a professor or a writer in my green life, I haven't decided, but I'd be sure to cut any unecessary carbon emission.

Going home would also be rejuvenating. On the way I'd think about the fresh homemade bread I'd bake from all organic ingredients. (No meat, because that's not green! It takes loads of carbon emission to slaughter animals).

I'd read by the fireplace used to heat my home. Listen to radio, perhaps and then get some peaceful rest in my no-voc painted, nature-ally decorated, organically insulated home.

Wouldn't that be nice.


Am I forgetting anything? I wish I were a lot greener. I'm like one thousandth (.0001) of the way there.

No comments: